Friday, December 2, 2011

Ketchup and Liebster Blog Award!

I just wrote this up in an email to a friend, and I thought - why not share with my blogsisters?  Sugar is bad for you - it leeches nutriets from you when you eat - not good for the infertile gal.  And high fructose corn syrup is even worse!
So here is a FANTASTIC Ketchup recipe.  Enjoy!
_____________________________________________

First, you must listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc
(I am pretty sure they are singing about the healthfulness of fermented goods, and how they aid digestion, and how ketchup used to be good for you instead of bad for you, right?  The chorus is "give us back lactofermentation!" in spanish, I'm told.)

Here is recipe, directly from nourishing traditons: (recommend it highly)

3C canned tomato paste, organic
1/4C whey
1T sea salt
1/2C maple syrup
1/4t cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, mased/peeled
1/2C fish sauce
(I used a 369mL can of tomato paste, so I halved all the ingredients, except garlic.)

Mix ingredients until well blended.  Place in a mason jar (top of ketchup should be at least 1" below mouth).  Leave at room temp for 2 days, then transfer to refridgerator.
DONE!
SUPER EASY!
It really is the best thing ever.  Waaay better than H.einz.  So flavourful.  I just realized not most non-Asian households don't necessarily have fish sauce lying around - don't be daunted, run out to the Chinese grocery store and get some.  It does not make the Ketchup taste fishy, the overall effect is wonderfulness.

Oh, also, you can't use whey protein isolate or anything like that, you should use the real deal.
If you don' tknow how to get whey, here it is, easy and fun!

Take some yoghurt (unsweetend, with live cultures), and put it in a clean dishtowel and let it drip for 24hours at room temp (I tie the dishtowel to a wooden spoon, and put it in a glass pitcher).  You will be left with a cream-cheese like substance in the towel and the whey is your drippings!  Fun!  (This is how I make goat cream cheese!  yum!)  It is also a by-product when you make your own cottage cheese.

Extra whey can be saved in the fridge for 6 months and can be used to ferment all sorts of nice things.

_________________________________

And most excitingly - I got a Liebster Blog award!  As soon as I saw it (on JBTC), I was hoping to get one!  Firstly, because I love IF blogging, and secondly, because I have a tiny crush on German (the language - we saw each other in high school for a while, but nothing ever came of it)



I was the lucky recipient of a Liebster Blog Award from Frustated Musings of a Seemingly Calm Gal. Thank you, JB!  :)

The Liebster Award spotlights up and coming bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.  In return for the award, the recipient bestows the award on five of their favourite bloggers.  
 
In no particular order (sorry if you've already got one!)
 
  1. St Rita's Roses (sorry, she is private)
  2. The 2 Week Wait (what can I say, she cracks me up!)
  3. Learning to Swim in a Sea of Baby Bumps (started the IF group in TO I love going to!)

5 comments:

  1. You're very welcome!!!!

    As soon as I feel up to it, I'm going to try making that ketchup, although I can't have fish sauce. Do you think tamari will work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of you and fish sauce, JB! Tamari would probably be a good substitue - maybe cut back a little on the salt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the award friend!! Ok, as for the ketchup...its my favorite thing ever! I order french fries, just so I can eat ketchup!!! I love it!! I do not think I can substitute it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, St Rita, this is not a ketchup substitute - this IS ketchup. How ketchup really is! MUCH better than regular sugar ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very cool - I have followed this kind of procedure to make my own tzaziki (sp?) but never thought of saving the whey to use to ferment things! Hmm. maybe when work slows down I can do this.

    I am excited that we have a common connection through Jelly Belly (I check her blog every day) :)

    ReplyDelete

Appleseed grows

Lilypie Maternity tickers